The Lake Cumberland District Health Department focuses on public and preventative health. We do so by offering on-site clinics, off-site programs and by engaging our communities to adopt health-focused policies and initiatives. Our mission is to, “…prevent illness and injury, promote good health practices and assure a safe environment.” While pursuing our mission, we aspire toward excellence by endeavoring to practice according to the most contemporary and cutting edge public health practice models and standards.
- On March 14, 2017, we became accredited for a five year cycle by the Public Health Accreditation Board.
- In delivering our services, we utilize research and outcomes based programs as we strive toward fulfilling the Ten Essential Services of Public Health.
- Within all of our internal planning, we incorporate strategy within a framework of Performance Management.
- We utilize concepts of Quality Improvement as we complete both our internal agency enhancements and community health advancement projects.
- When training our staff, our Workforce Development Plan looks to the Core Competencies of public health professionals and the Public Health Preparedness Capabilities.
- In their oversight of our organization, the Lake Cumberland District Board of Health operates according to NALBOH’S Six Functions of Public Health Governance.
Historically, as we have worked with our community partners to improve health via policy development and partnerships, our Community Health Improvement Plans reflect that we have looked to the Healthy People 2030 and Surgeon General’s Priorities to set health targets and to identify nationally recommended strategies.
Emerging Public Health Initiatives
Looking to the future, we keep our eyes on emerging public health strategies. Click the following links to learn how we are engaging with some emerging key public health initiatives.
Other pages of interest: