The Centers for Disease Control have identified Winnable Battles in public health. Some of these include: 1) Antibiotic Resistance, 2) HIV Elimination, 3) Million Hearts, 4) Opioid Overdose, 5) Vaccine-Preventable Disease, and 6) Viral Hepatitis. Let’s take an account of where our district’s health status currently rates in regards to several of these areas.
- HIV: Data shows our district has 130 individuals identified as living with AIDS. The LCDHD provides AIDS testing and engages in the Ryan White Part B Program.
- Million Hearts: The LCDHD encourages healthy eating and physical activity.
- Opioid Overdose: The LCDHD provides the Rural Health Opioid Program and provides several syringe exchange programs.
If you are wary of our citizens constantly being rated so low in areas of public health, here are some things you can do:
- Eat normally proportioned helpings of nutritious foods including at least five fruits and vegetables a day;
- Exercise about 30 minutes per day; and
- Avoid the use of tobacco products.
Do the above and join us in our mission of, “…promoting good health practices…,” and strive for these five healthy activities.