Environmental Health is the branch of Public Health that is concerned with all aspects of the natural and built environment that may affect human health. We enforce the Public Health Laws and Regulations of the Commonwealth.
Our duties are defined in KRS Chapter 212.00
- .230 Powers and duties of county, city-county, and district health boards.
- .240 Duties of county health departments.
- .245 Powers of local health departments.
We inspect all public facilities such as: food service providers, hotels/motels, schools, swimming facilities, mobile home / RV parks, tattoo / piercing studios, confinement facilities and youth camps.
In addition, we inspect/investigate nuisance complaints, animal bites, on-site sewage systems, West-Nile, radon, lead, mercury spills, natural disasters, bio-terrorism and water sampling.
- Read guidelines on a variety of topics, including water boiling advisories, disinfecting drinking water, septic systems, flooding, methamphetamine contamination, temporary food guidelines, and diseased animal control
- Learn about our environmental programs, including rabies control, food service, on-site sewage, permitted caterers, radon, food service inspection, and West Nile Virus
- Learn about recent food recalls
- Register a complaint about an environmental issue
- Download public service signs you can post in your business (promoting personal hygiene, etc.)