The Well Child Pediatric and Adolescent Healthcare program provides a complete physical screening and assessment of physical, mental and social well being to children from birth through 20 years of age. Regularly scheduled checkups can detect minor health problems before they become serious.
Children of all ages need comprehensive health checkups. The recommended schedule for well child exams are as follows: Birth, 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months 18 months, 24 months, 30 months and annually from age 3 through 20.
A complete Well Child exam includes the following:
- unclothed physical examination
- health and developmental history including assessment of both physical and mental health development
- health education (including anticipatory guidance)
- appropriate immunizations according to age
- laboratory tests as indicated by age and health history
- lead screening according to established guidelines
- hearing, vision and dental screenings
Well Child exams are administered at all county health departments.