Want to feel better? Be healthier?
If you have prediabetes or other risk factors for type 2 diabetes, now is the time to take charge of your health and make a CHANGE for LIFE– and we are here to help!
The LCDHD LIFE CHANGE Program is part of the National Diabetes Prevention Program led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It features an approach that is proven to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes and includes:
- Trained lifestyle coach
- CDC-approved curriculum
- Group support
- 16 weekly meetings
- Bi-weekly meeting for 8 months
By improving food choices and increasing physical activity, you can lose 5 to 7 percent of your body weight — that is 10 to 14 pounds for a person weighing 200 pounds. If you have prediabetes, these lifestyle changes can cut your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by more than half.
Prediabetes Can Lead to Type 2 Diabetes
One out of three American adults has prediabetes, and most of them do not know it. Having prediabetes means your blood glucose (sugar) level is higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes. This raises your risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
Without weight loss and moderate physical activity, many people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years. Type 2 diabetes is a serious condition that can lead to health issues such as heart attack; stroke; blindness; kidney failure; or loss of toes, feet, or legs.
The lifestyle changes you make in the LIFE CHANGE Program will help you prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
You may have prediabetes and be at risk for Type 2 diabetes if you:
- Are 45 years of age or older
- Are overweight
- Have a family history of type 2 diabetes
- Are physically active fewer than 3 times per week
- Ever had diabetes while pregnant which disappeared after delivering the baby (gestational diabetes) or gave birth to a baby that weighed more than 9 pounds
How the LIFE CHANGE Program works
As part of a group, you will work with a trained lifestyle coach and other participants to learn the skills you need to make lasting lifestyle changes. You will learn to eat healthy, add physical activity to your life, manage stress, stay motivated, and solve problems that can get in the way of healthy changes.
Life Change groups meet weekly for 16 weeks, then twice a month for 8 months to help you maintain your healthy lifestyle changes. By meeting with others who have or are at risk for prediabetes you can celebrate each other’s successes and work together to overcome obstacles.
Some insurance plans will cover the cost for the LIFE CHANGE Program. Check with your insurance provider to see if it is covered.
If You Think You May Be at Risk for Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes:
- Take this CDC Prediabetes Screening Test to a health care provider and ask to be tested for prediabetes. The health care provider may do a simple blood test.
- If you don’t have a health care provider, call us to find out if you qualify for the program.
- Click here to check out the “Could You Have Prediabetes?” online quiz. If your score shows you are at high risk for prediabetes, talk to your health care provider or contact our program.
For more information about our Life CHANGE Program or see when the program is offered in your area, please call 1-800-928-4416 EXT. 5. We are here to help!